Pain and inflammation are the two primary symptoms of lupus. As for the disease, it can happen to anyone, and the exact cause of it is a subject matter for researchers to date.
However, experts consider certain environmental triggers and family history with lupus to be the main factor for this disease.
Other than skin and joints, lupus also affects the kidneys and the other internal organs of the body.
Cannabinoids or CBD have soared in popularity as one of the leading options for the treatment of the condition.
According to the Lupus Foundation of America, approximately 1.5 million Americans have this disease.
But how safe and effective is it? Even if it is safe, how does CBD for lupus works? Read on to find the answers to these questions.
Can I take CBD Oil for Lupus Symptoms?
Notwithstanding the fact that lupus is of four kinds, it is a long-term disease that causes the body’s immune system to attack the healthy cells and leads to inflammation.
The four types of lupus include the following:
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Cutaneous lupus
- Drug-induced lupus
- Neonatal lupus
Despite the existence of different forms of lupus, the fact remains that the symptoms of all these variants of the disease are more or less the same. The symptoms of lupus include the following:
- Sores around mouth and nose
- Rash on nose and cheeks
- High blood pressure
- Light sensitivity
- Pain in various body parts, including the joints
CBD acts on the main indicators of lupus, namely pain and inflammation. It plays its role in conjunction with the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS). Not only does this system regulate inflammation and pain, but it also takes care of the manner in which the body generates an immune response, but also metabolism, cognition, and sleep.
Endocannabinoids put the receptors CB1 and CB2 in the working mode. While the former takes care of the nervous system, the latter offers relief from pain and inflammation. Anandamide works in conjunction with CB1 receptors, whereas 2-AG works with CB2 receptors.
Studies reveal that CBD can prove to be effective in striking the right balance between these receptors.
Best CBD Oils : Tried and Tested by Our Team
Cannabis Herald recommends buying online from reputed brands. This ensures you get authentic CBD products that are labelled correctly.
The role of CBD oil in Relieving Inflammation
Lupus is a disease that does not confine itself to a specific part of the body but also extends to the other parts of the body of an individual. More than the disease, it is the inflammation that draws the attention of both the doctors and individuals.
According to a study published in “Future of Medicinal Chemistry”, a scientific journal, anti-inflammatory properties of cannabinoids can prove useful in the treatment of inflammation.
Though rare, the flare-up of the skeletal muscles is also possible in some individuals. It can result in other complications such as alopecia areata and skin rash. Thus, it is important to address the root cause of the condition which is lupus itself. If you do not get adequate treatment at the right time, it can lead to skin rash and baldness.
One of the effective treatments for such lupus-based conditions is the appellation of CBD oil tinctures. Besides, you can also use CBD ointments for the treatment of skin inflammations.
How CBD Oil Relieves Lupus Pain?
Joint pain is common among all patients with lupus. Most studies highlight that this form of pain is visible among people who wrestle with the medical condition. Interestingly, more than 50% of people with lupus experience joint pain as the first indicator of lupus.
For lupus patients, it is important not to overlook the seriousness of inflamed joints at the initial stages. Not paying attention to its treatment in a timely manner can lead to the development of lupus arthritis at subsequent stages.
On the surface, lupus arthritis may not appear to be as serious as rheumatoid arthritis. However, this doesn’t mean that it is any less destructive or painful. Not getting proper treatment for lupus arthritis can lead to the loss of the muscle tissue of an individual in the long run.
Though the positive results of lupus treatment by the use of CBD does not have any experienced-based evidence, researchers have drawn some inference based on their observations on the study involving the beneficial effects of CBD on rodents.
Researchers did not see any major compilation in rodents while using CBD for the treatment of inflammation and pain; they believe it can also benefit humans alike.
How CBD Oil helps in controlling Hypertension?
Some people use steroids for the treatment of lupus. However, the use of steroids poses some medical risks for such users. For instance, they are likely to suffer from high blood pressure, heart problems leading to heart failure, and also stroke.
By and large, all these problems relate to the issues in the blood vessels, particularly in the movement of blood to various parts of the body through the blood vessels.
CBD helps people who grapple with high blood pressure and heart problems by widening the blood vessels. Due to the widening of the blood vessels, other parts of the body get an elevated level of blood flow which helps an individual to effectively deal with the problem of low blood pressure.
Besides, stress and anxiety can also play a role in increasing the chances of developing the problem of hypertension. The end result of these mental issues is depression.
For those who suffer from a mental disorder, the moderate dosage of strong CBD is an ideal option. Among other things, it calms down the nerve and produces a relaxing effect.
The advantages and downsides of using CBD oil for the treatment of lupus and other medical conditions
- As stated in WHO report, organic CBD oil does not put an individual at risk of addiction. As long as one sticks with the right dosage of this oil, it neither increases hunger nor makes an individual prone to the risk of developing “munchies”.
- CBD has proven its potential for the treatment of various physical and mental illnesses . Unlike THC, it doesn’t get an individual high. The intake of CBD oil is linked to heightened confidence and better performance in public speaking.
- It does well to treat the disorders linked to inflammation. It stands useful for the treatment of internal inflammation. It specifically benefits those who suffer from inflammation due to gout, allergies, vasculitis, and arthritis.
Organic CBD oil lends a helping hand to the treatment of autoimmune disorders. Inflammation is one of the root causes of autoimmune disorders. Experts believe this can be a reason for which it can also help in the treatment of autoimmune disorders.
- Opioids and NSAIDs have long been used for the treatment of pain. However, it makes an individual prone to developing side-effects. On the contrary, CBD oil treats pain without causing any side effects. Thus, it is a risk-free remedy for pain.
- CBD products such as CBD oil are easy to use. You can take it with vape, or you can also have it with food, in the form of pill or lozenges. Perhaps, it is one of those options for the treatment of lupus and other medical conditions, which is easy to ingest or use.
- In comparison to THC, CBD does not have any major side-effects. As such, most people view it as a favorable and secure option.
- Some CBD oil products consist of THC, which is important for some people. In certain cases, the combined effect of CBD and THC has a more positive effect on our body.
- CBD oil is of great help for those who have a hard time sleeping at night. But it can have a diagonally opposite effect on those who plan to stay awake throughout the night. If you use organic CBD oil, you will notice that it causes drowsiness.
- CBD oil acts differently on different individuals. As an outcome, it is not easy to form opinions about how effective it would be or how well it would act on lupus and other medical conditions. Those who use CBD oil for the treatment of a certain medical condition do it out of uncertainty.
Side Effects of CBD Oil
The side effects of CBD oil, as is the case with its effects, are not clear. However, some of its common side effects include the following:
- Dry mouth
- Parkinson’s disease (if one takes a high dose)
- Low blood pressure
- Alterations in the enzymes of the liver
Notwithstanding these side effects, the best part about CBD oil is that it does not turn a user into an addict. As such, the overdose of CBD oil is a rare possibility.
CBD Oil vs. Alternative Treatments for Lupus
When it comes to the treatment of lupus, complementary as well as alternative treatments are helpful in relieving the symptoms.
The complementary medication works in conjunction with the principal drugs. In other words, such medications act as an adjunct to a prescription drug which is the main medicine for treating lupus.
On the other hand, alternative medicine acts as a substitute for prescription drugs.
Both these treatments are distinct from one another and work accordingly to relieve the symptoms of lupus. The best thing about these treatments is that they are safe from the possibility of side effects.
However, more scientific research on these treatments is necessary to determine their usefulness in treating lupus.
Some common forms of complementary and alternative treatments for lupus include the following:
- Chiropractic pain relief treatment
- Naturopathy and Homeopathy
- Herbal medicines
- Wellness programs
The effectiveness of the treatments varies from one individual in the same way as different individuals need distinct treatment methods for lupus. So, you would be better off consulting a certified physician before embracing any of the aforementioned treatments.
CBD oil in the form of cannabis and hemp oil can be an important source of amino acids. Though it doesn’t directly treat lupus, it helps patients manage the symptoms.
Important Points to Consider while Choosing CBD Oil for Treating Lupus
Given the wider range of spectrum of CBD oil, you need to choose an option that can well cater to your needs in the best possible manner.
Usually, it is best to choose the full spectrum of CBD oil as it offers the maximum benefits. Not only does it relieve you from lupus but also provides a host of other health benefits.
Before arriving at a conclusion, hang on a moment and consider if your body is sensitive to the allergic reactions that CBD oil may trigger. If your body is less tolerant of the possible side effects of CBD oil, you’d be better off choosing the broad spectrum instead of the full spectrum.
Additionally, you should also pay attention to the following points:
- Before putting your money on the product, set aside some time for your research. Find out the manufacturer of the product you wish to buy. You would be better off going for a product from a reputed manufacturer than the ones that feature low on the list of manufacturers.
- Consider your location in the United States. Marijuana or medical CBD is not legal in all the states in the United States, which has fifty states in all. Out of the total number of states, the use of marijuana is permissible only in four states. You can use the medical CBD after getting a physician’s prescription in eleven states.
- Do not forget to go through the reviews or testimonials of verified customers of CBD products who have tried it for lupus. Though there is a possibility of getting biased reviews on some websites, you can keep away the likelihood of it by taking the reviews of customers from reputed sites into consideration.
- When buying a CBD product from a store, check if the latter has the legal authority to sell such a product. Apart from ensuring that you are investing in the right product, this move will also prevent the likelihood of getting into legal hassles.
- Now that you have taken everything else into consideration, the last thing you need to do is check the certification codes. This move will ensure that the product you are buying has been through proper checks and procedures in the laboratories and that the product is trustworthy.
CBD Dosage for Lupus
CBD does not have a uniform dosage due to the lack of any guidelines by the FDA. Plus, its dosage is likely to vary from one person to the other due to the distinction in the treatment of lupus.
By and large, CBD is safe for use and does not cause any major complications. However, this does not put it above all side effects.
One of the best ways to keep the complications of CBD at bay is to take it in a lesser quantity. Besides this, maintaining a balanced proportion between CBD and THC also stands as a vital factor.
It is a good idea to not overlook any side effects of CBD. Instead, pay a visit to a doctor as soon as possible upon the detection of any complication resulting from the use of CBD in any of its forms.
When it comes to the use of CBD for the treatment of lupus, you should take the final call only after consulting a qualified physician. A doctor will be able to guide you through regarding whether or not to use CBD after examining your current medical condition.
How to use CBD Oil
In broad terms, CBD oil comes across in two forms – tincture and oil. You can take the tincture directly with food, whereas you can take the oil variant along with vape to get relief from pain.
Wondering what’s wrong with the ingestion of CBD oil? The primary reason for it is its taste. When you ingest CBD oil, it leaves an oily taste in the mouth that you may find unusual to your liking. Due to this reason, the recommended way to take CBD orally is to do so with the tincture version rather than the oil variant of the product.
You can also apply CBD products on the skin to deal with inflammation. These days, CBD products such as patches, lotions, and creams are available for this purpose. The use of these products can help you get rid of skin rashes.
Some dermatologists recommend topical CBD products that can be of great help as an adjunct in the treatment of eczema, psoriasis, and acne.
Besides, you can also take CBD products in the form of lozenges, gummies, and pills.
Is the use of CBD legal?
This is one of the most obvious and frequently asked questions among those who consider using CBD oil for treatment of various conditions, including lupus.
Though there is a lot of information on the Internet in this connection, the data on the majority of the sources are confusing by nature. As a result, you might want to get a clear and straightforward answer to it.
To begin with, the use of CBD products is legal in all the states in the US as long as the concentration of the THC in it is less than 0.3 percent. However, a bill passed in 2018 excludes hemp and the products resulting from it from the list of items that are permissible for use.
Out of the 50 states, seven states permit the use of medical marijuana for the treatment of lupus when a certified physician prescribes it.
On the contrary, the use of marijuana for the treatment of lupus is permissible in four other states. These include Illinois, New Jersey, New Hampshire, and Hawaii.
Now that you have come to know a lot about CBD and how it works on those with lupus, you may want to know if it is safe for use. The answer to it is “yes” as it does not have any major side effects. But is it effective? It may be or may not be effective depending on your case.
The results are likely to vary from one individual to the other. A lot depends on the type of lupus you have and the response of your body to CBD for lupus. In such a case, consider consulting a qualified physician as they will be able to guide you through on this matter.